Wednesday 13 May 2009


A bit of flash - daylight balance.
This is more like it! Settings were 1/250th at f11 and 200ISO. My £50 Vivitar 285hv costing fifty quid was turned down to 1/16th power at about 18 inches. One small addition was the DIY grid made from an off-cut of a corex "For Sale" sign. I cut slices about 12mm thick and stuck then together with double sided sticky tape, then trimmed the outer edges to be a snug fit in the flash window of the Vivitar. This inexpensive grid casts a pool of light about 10 to 12 inches across at 18 inches distance.
As I've not had much luck with flash leads I've now got a radio trigger from John Camera Shop in Hong Kong costing £14 and it works beautifully from five inches up to fifty metres! Go to John Camera Shop (The trigger is on page two)
I've since taken a soldering iron to the reciever of this trigger and added a mini-jack socket so I can also fire off my camera from fifty metres, which in turn fires off the flash via a second radio trigger fitted in the hotshoe. I'll put a post up soon along with a couple of photos of that adaption.

No comments:

Post a Comment